Tuesday, August 18, 2020

How To Impact Values On Teenagers

Hello there!

It’s another beautiful Tuesday with Teenbaseetoh. Today we are going to be taking a look at HOW TO IMPACT VALUES ON TEENAGERS. (  PART 1)

 

The kind of society we want tomorrow will be determined by the kind of teenagers we are breeding today. Teenagers are the next generation of leaders for the society; it is therefore incumbent on us all as teachers, parents, families, neighbors and adults in general to make it a deliberate and conscious efforts as to how we raise the teens of today.

Wikipedia defines a teenager or a teen as a person who falls within the ages of 13 to 19 years old. The word ‘teenager’ is also often associated with adolescence.

What are values? I would like to share a simple comprehensive meaning of values I found on a blog post. It states that values are basic and fundamental beliefs that guide or motivate attitudes or actions. They help us to determine what is important to us. Values describe the personal qualities we choose to embody to guide our actions; the sort of person we want to be; the manner in which we treat ourselves and others, and our interaction with the world around us. They provide the general guidelines for conduct.

Having stated what values are, so where exactly do these values come from?  We pick up values from our religious and cultural believes, major parts our values are picked up from our parents and friends, and also from our relationship and experiences with others.

These values we pick up from several people and believe are what form the basis of our character and our core values are the result of our behavior.

Now that we know what values are, I would to ask you these questions: what are your core values? Would you be proud if your child (ren) pick up your values and live by them?

Do you find it difficult answering those questions? If yes, I will urge you to sit down and define your own core values and then ask yourself “will I be proud if my child (ren) picks up these values”.

While I leave you to answer these questions,  I will see you next Tuesday when I will be sharing ‘Tips on how to instill values in Teens’ with you. Until then , STAY SAFE!

4 comments:

  1. to your question, I will be proud if my child(ren)pick up my value and live by it. But think our teenagers are mostly influenced by the Society, the media and so on, and I believe the society might still remain as it is until a philosopher rule it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. to your question, I will be proud if my child(ren)pick up my value and live by it. But think our teenagers are mostly influenced by the Society, the media and so on, and I believe the society might still remain as it is until a philosopher rule it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one Simba. It means you have good values for you to want your child to emulate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But do we really need a philosopher to rule before good values can be imbibed in our teenagers?

    ReplyDelete